Tuesday, October 11, 2011

WEEKLY NEWSCAST

DESIGN TIP OF THE WEEK:

AS THE OUTSIDE WORLD CHANGES TO THE  FALL SEASON, AND WE  SEEK CHANGES IN OUR INTERIOR WORLDS,    A SUMMER "ALL WHITE" BEDROOM CAN BE TRANSFORMED INSTANTLY BY ADDING A BURNT ORANGE COMFORTER AND  THROW PILLOWS IN GOLDS, BROWNS AND ORANGES.

STORY OF THE WEEK:

I am posting  these stories that I wrote in the 90's  when I moved to the country to a two hundred year old farmhouse named "Twin Chimneys" 

TALES FROM TWIN CHIMNEYS (tm)  - "BETWEEN SEASONS"
by: Beverly Anderson

     As I walked to the mailbox this morning, a soft wind caught my attention.  It is different today.  It is dry.  It feels good on my skin and sounds good to my ears.  These are new sounds. The leaves on the trees are drying up and they rustle.  Some fall to the ground and make soft sounds as they land.  I hear a rhythmic chorus of grasshoppers joined by a mockingbird singing his solo.
     The trees on the hillside are beginning to turn yellow.  It is not a grand show yet.  It is a signal of things to come. The green summer grass is  mostly brown and is beginning to be covered with yellow and brown leaves.  The hackberry and mulberry trees shed their leaves early with no splendor.  The autumn asters are blooming pink and purple, beautiful, alone among the dried up stalks of the daylilies and coneflowers.
     It is not an exeptional day, but it is a quiet time between seasons.  A time to notice the changes.
     The cows are sitting and standing lazily beside the pond.  One is in the water.  There are six of them, four reddish brown and two black and white.  They have grown.  They are much bigger than when Johnny brought them here in the spring as "teenage calves".    I always enjoy having them here, but today I am particularly grateful. They bring joy and peace to the land.  They don't require much from a day.  They are content.  I like to watch them as they walk around the pasture.  In the early morning they graze near the barn.  In the hot afternoons they go way down by the far pond.  In the evening they come close to the house.  I can pet them through the fence.  Their noses are big and spongy.    Their heads are hard as rocks, but with fur.  Their eyes are huge glass balls rolling around as they study me.
     I will try to enjoy them more each day now  because they will soon leave.   Johnny picks them up each fall and I remember how it is when they are gone.  Lonely.  The farm feels more complete when they are here.
    Things change.  There is sadness.  And quiet reflection.  Time to more fully enjoy what has been here before it leaves.  Time to think about what is coming.  That is the way it is between seasons.

PICTURE OF THE WEEK:

"Camels" , oil pastel
by Heide Browne
$300

No comments:

Post a Comment